Institute of Environmental Sciences and Herbarium Centre
Institute of Environmental Sciences
Today, the environment and the elements of the ground, sea and atmosphere that it contains affect everyone and it constitutes one of the most important concepts. In this context, the concepts of "sustainable development and sustainable environment" are emphasized all over the world. The TRNC in general, and the NEU in particular, examines global studies on the subject, and they develop their knowledge on these subjects, carry out research activities themselves, and put them into practice in every possible field.
Since NEU aims to advance and better our country and society, its primary aims include the establishment of an Environmental Sciences Institute based on the fact that a clean and sustainable environment is possible with a scientific, integrated and participatory method. NEU will open new horizons in our country with the researches and other contributions it makes to these issues and will be a pioneer on these issues. Additionally, NEU is an institution that can optimally implement such a program with the necessary knowledge, scientists and qualified human resources.
The Near East University Institute of Environmental Sciences was established with the decision of the Near East University Senate dated 4/5/2005 and numbered 2005/19, under the auspices of the Rectorate, in line with the above-mentioned purposes.
The general objectives of the NEU Institute of Environmental Sciences can be summarized as follows:
- To participate in the development of a strategy related to the environment, as well as the determination of priorities and order of importance, in addition to economic and social policies, in order to ensure sustainable development in our country,
- To provide beneficial and guiding knowledge and data to decision-makers and practitioners to inform them on in decisions taken on environmental issues,
- To research the issues in the field of interest that will contribute to the welfare of the society and to present them to the service of the community,
- To research and produce information according to global standards and European Union norms and to contribute to the EU harmonization process of the TRNC,
- To create and contribute to a data bank on the subjects that all kinds of practices and action plans will need or are likely to need,
- To contribute to securing the future of our country's nature and people, by providing sufficient manpower, which is needed for sustainable development, who can examine issues from a wider perspective, are equipped with all kinds of information, and are able to produce solutions, channelling them correctly,
- To handle and carry out scientific and applied research with an inductive and universal approach and to offer them to the country and humanity.
Prof. Dr. Salih GÜCEL
Fields of Study
- To carry out and promote scientific research in all areas related to the environment in Cyprus and beyond, to promote scientific research, and to collect necessary data and samples. To create exhibition and exchange collections from samples and data, to create a data bank, to exchange information, data and samples with scientists, assistants and managers with domestic and foreign similar institutions, and to cooperate with each other,
- To provide samples and study areas for the courses and applications in the undergraduate and graduate education and research programs of Near East University and other universities, and to provide laboratories when necessary,
- To create new projects, to support the projects and to produce solutions for problems,
- To promote the training of instructors and assistants who conduct research and practice and to promote the development of students in these fields,
- To organize seminars, courses, conferences and similar events in order to promote research and applications and to publish the research results, to issue certificates related to these studies when necessary, and to promote public opinion on the subject by using modern communication opportunities,
- To create and develop training programs, to provide training when necessary, to send or invite employees abroad and domestically for short or long-term, in order to increase good ethics and knowledge,
- To collect physical, chemical, biological, geological, geophysical, meteorological, oceanographic and ecological data and samples on subjects of interest of the Institute; to examine long-term climate change, to conduct scientific research on the biogeochemical cycles and ecosystem cycles of factors affecting biological life and the environment, to collect data and samples, to establish units where data and samples will be preserved, and to serve and receive services from such units,
- Detailed examination of human factors affecting all kinds of living organisms and the environment, data collection and result presentation,
- Supporting the strategies, practices and technologies necessary to ensure the sustainability of the environment,
- Collecting, storing and evaluating historical data on land, sea, atmosphere and the environment,
- To ensure that all kinds of samples and data collected from the environment are stored by creating an environment in accordance with international rules and standards,
- To contribute to the sustainable development of our country by cooperating with public and private institutions and non-governmental organizations in the country and abroad,
- Contributing to and putting into practice the research results and data collected,
- To provide the necessary data and information to the decision makers of our country and to assist in making and implementing sound decisions,
- To produce a wide range of correct information that our country's public needs on the subject, to present enlightening and informative information, to raise awareness,
- To carry out studies in accordance with the founding purpose of the Institute and the purposes and principles of other relevant laws.
- K.K.T.C.'de Botanik Açıdan Önemli Bölgelerin Florasının Saptanması, Turizm ve Ekonomi Bakanlığı ve Çevre Koruma Dairesi, Proje Yöneticisi, 2005.
- Management and Assesment of the Ecology of Cyprus Wetlands, UNDP_ACT 47401-06-001, Proje Yöneticisi, 2006.
- Setting the foundations for a Pan-Cyprian network of nature conservation organizations, UNDP_ACT 47400-06-005, Proje Yardımcısı, 2006.
- Establishment of island-wide waterbird surveillance programme for rapid detection of potential avian influenza outbreak, UNDP_ACT 47401-07-002-E, Proje Yardımcısı, 2006.
- Biodiversity of the buffer zone in Cyprus, UNDP_ACT 47401-07-005, Proje Yöneticisi, 2006.
- Cooperation for the conservation of rare endemic plants of Cyprus within the buffer zone, UNDP_ACT 47401-07-004, Proje Yardımcısı, 2006.
- Lefkoşa-Gazimagosa Anayolundaki Arpaların Kurşun, Kadmiyum ve Bakır İçeriklerinin Belirlenmesi, Bilimsel Araştırma Projeleri, Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı, K.K.T.C., Proje Yöneticisi, 2006.
- Kuzey Kıbrıs Endemik Bitki Polenlerinin Elektron Mikroskobu ile İncelenmesi, Bilimsel Araştırma Projeleri, Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı, K.K.T.C., Proje Yardımcısı, 2007.
- Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti Sınırları Dahilinde Çölleşme Indikatörü Olarak Kullanılabilecek Baskın Herdemyeşil Bitkilerde Su İlişkilerinin Saptanması, Bilimsel Araştırma Projeleri, Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı, K.K.T.C., Proje Yöneticisi, 2007.
- Karpaz Yarımadasındaki Habitatların Sınıflandırılması Projesi, Çevre ve Doğal Kaynaklar Bakanlığı, Proje Yardımcısı, 2007.
- Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti’nde Etnobotanik Envanter Çalışması 1, Bilimsel Araştırma Projeleri, Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı, K.K.T.C., Proje Yardımcısı, 2008.
- Birds have no boundaries, American Embassy, Small Grants programme, Proje Yöneticisi, 2009.
- Raising awareness about the implications of climate change for Cyprus, American Embassy, Small Grants programme, Proje Yardımcısı, 2009.
Environmental Sciences Institute Publications
- Kuzey Kıbrıs Endemik Bitkileri, Çevre Koruma Dairesi Kitap Serileri II, K.K.T.C., 43s, 2006.North Cyprus mushrooms, their ecology, distribution, classification and toxicity, Vol.1. Near East University, Nicosia, North Cyprus.Kuzey Kıbrıs Polen Takvimi.