Chairperson of the Centre
Centre’s Board of Directors
- Prof. Dr. Salih Gücel,
- Prof. Dr. Özge Özden Fuller,
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Buket Asilsoy,
- Asst. Prof. Dr. Tuğşad Tülbentçi,
- Asst. Prof. Dr. Can Kara,
- Dr. Serkad Hasan Işıkören
The primary vision of the "Research Centre of Urban/Rural Life" established at the Faculty of Architecture of Near East University is to provide professional participation, applied learning and interdisciplinary research for students, academics and decision-making stakeholders in the disciplines of architecture, rural development and urban planning and design.
Therefore, students will be encouraged to research and think critically, thus opening new windows to concepts and problems, producing knowledge and developing discourses.
The primary aim of this centre can be defined as filling the existing gap between architecture and urbanism and creating a platform that helps to offer real solutions to the concrete problems facing the built environment.
Architecture at the intersection of urban and rural life has become an important issue that needs to be evaluated from different perspectives as extraordinary challenges are experienced. Therefore, this centre will be a centre for finding solutions from a scientific point of view at both national and international levels. The concept of sustainability should beat the core of everything in the modern era. The activities of this centre are deigned to help raise awareness in terms of sustainability in both architectural, urban, rural and administrative discourses.
Firstly, since it is predicted world will undergo a process of global urbanization, many changes, new measures and policies have been linked to this process to create a better environment for all people in urban areas regardless of their social class. For this purpose, research on cities should not only be prioritized by urbanists but also architects. Thus, the gap between architecture and urban planning will be filled and architecture will be able to move from abstract designs to real works.
This research centre will be dedicated to interdisciplinary research to foster cooperation, communication, partnership, integrity and respect among all members. It strongly advocates diversity, flexibility and adaptability in perspective for the research environment that values openness, honesty and ethics. It is committed to creating innovative solutions for the social, environmental and cultural challenges facing society.
- Allocating funds and scholarships for students participating in research activities.
- Coordinating architectural, city and village projects in cooperation with the city and the architects council. Architectural projects to promote renovation projects in historical parts of the island
- Organizing public galleries, seminars and conferences.
- Collaboration between various research communities at various faculties at the university and at other national-international universities.
Main Fields of Work
- Because architecture is highly interdisciplinary, this centre facilitates interdisciplinary, international and national collaborations, helping to build a global network of scholars who can thoroughly understand contemporary challenges.
- Urban-architecture context studies instead of discussing urban and architectural topics separately.
- Research on the urban-rural relationship instead of considering the rural and urban individually.
- Research on social, cultural, economic and physical sustainability
Sustainability, urban-rural cooperation, architecture, urban cooperation, urban and rural life and sustainability.