Reşat Volkan Gunel graduated from Kadikoy Anatolian High School in 1999 and from Marmara University Law Faculty in 2003. He was registered as Attorney at Law by Istanbul Bar Association in 2004 and appointed to the Marmara University Law Faculty Department of Public International Law in 2005. Dr. Gunel spent a semester in Singapore under the scholarship of Roche in 2008, participating in the CLE programme on “Asian Approaches to International Law”. Afterwards he continued his studies in Heidelberg where was granted a scholarship by the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in 2009.Dr. Gunel achieved his PhD Degree on Public Law from Kultur University Institute of Social Sciences in 2010 by submitting the thesis “Transformation of Civil Aviation System in the Process of ‘Open Skies’ Agreements from the Perspective of International Law” under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Durmuş Tezcan.
Dr. Gunel is currently an Assistant Professor at the Near East University Law Faculty. He is the first Turkish scholar to give a lecture under the topic of “Rethinking the Origins of International Law through the Works of Ibn Khaldun” at the 3rd Biennial Conference of the AsianSIL, Beijing in 2011.
- May 2011 – Book, Basic Documents in International Law, 2nd Edition, (Turkish Translations), Turkmen Pub., 693 pages
- September 2010 – Book, International Aviation Law in the Process of ‘Open Skies’ Agreements – A Critical Approach, Beta, 372 pages
- September 2009 – Book, Basic Documents in International Law, 693 pages
- May 2009 – Report, Customary International Humanitarian Law Round Table Meeting, ICRC
- May 2008 – Article, “Genetics and Law – Turkish Practice”, Roche Medical Law Journal
- November 2007 – Article, “Is There a Right of Self-Defence of Turkey due to be attacked by PKK from Northern Iraq” 2023, Journal of International Relations
- November 2007 – Translation, “Eylem Zengin v. Turkey” judgement of European Court of Human Rights Concerning The Cumpolsary Religion Lessons, Legal Law Journal (and also in the Law Journal of Istanbul Bar)
- September 2007 – Translation, “Galatasaray SK v/ Frank Ribéry & Olympique Marseille – Arbitral Award delivered by the Court of Arbitration for Sports” Essays in Honour of Prof. Dr. Aydin Aybay
- September 2006 – Book, Conscientious Objection in International Law, 128 pages
- December 2005 – Article, “International Legal Personality of EU in the progress of cooperation in justice and home affairs” Kultur University Journal of Law.