The Definition and the content for the MSc. Program
Master of Science in Civil Engineering Program is designed to be completed in 2 years. Graduate students enrolled in this program should complete 7 courses, deliver a seminar about a predetermined research topic and defend a master thesis (yielding 120 ECTS in total) successfully. The students are expected to complete their courses with a minimum CGPA of 3.00/4.00 in order to progress into next stages; that are ―Seminar‖ and ―Thesis‖ stages. Seminar and thesis work do not involve credits; they are evaluated by a qualified jury as―satisfactory‖ / ―unsatisfactory‖ upon the performance of the student.
With Master of Science studies, students are encouraged to get further specialized on one of the main branches of Civil Engineering, which are; Structural Engineering, Materials of Construction, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Construction Management.
Objectives and the Intended Learning Outcomes of MSc. Program
The MSc. Program in Civil Engineering aims to train specialized civil engineers at master‘s level that are capable of understanding problems stated in diferent fields of Civil Engineering effectively and having the background and needed skills to carry out high-quality research with aim of solving these problems. Students‘ background is enriched with various graduate courses that they select to take throughout their master studies. After the completion of their courses, the students are encouraged to establish communication with the professors working in the fields that the students are enthusiastic to define the thesis topic; in this way, a thesis study is designed according to the area of interest of the student, ongoing research of the professor and the current needs considered in that area of research. With the completion of the thesis work, the students receive the MSc. Degree, and graduate as specialized civil engineers ready to be enrolled in related areas of professional engineering sectors.
The list of intended learning outcomes of the MSc. program is as the following:
- Ability to use advanced level of fundamental science knowledge as an effective tool for the analysis and/or the design of specified civil engineering problems/projects.
- Ability to use advanced level engineering theories on the analysis and/or the design of specified civil engineering problems/projects.
- Ability to correlate advanced level civil engineering concepts and theories within each other, as well as with the basic level engineering background received in BSc. degree education.
- Ability to design an efficient research methodology and to carry out advanced level of research on a specific civil engineering topic.
- Ability to carry out team-work activities with other specialized civil engineers or participating in team-work activities of multi-disciplinary nature for the solution of the targeted problem.
- Ability to produce innovative and efficient solutions to specific civil engineering problems.
- Ability to write advanced level of technical reports, articles as well as graduate studies thesis and/or to carry out presentations on the studied engineering projects.
- Ability to update background information with continuous efforts in following recent developments in different branches of civil engineering.