Chairman’s Welcome Message
Welcome to the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Near East University, NEU. Our department has been founded in 2008. The department is carrying out its departmental studies in providing graduate (BSc) and postgraduate (MSc and PhD) programs with the help of a team of experienced academic staff.
Being the only department of its kind in North Cyprus, the graduates of Department of Biomedical Engineering have opportunity to be employed in all areas of medicine. Over the years, the department has developed strong ties to local Biomedical Companies and local hospitals, NEU Hospital, NEU Dentistry Hospital and NEU Veterinary hospital. This is the most important advantage of the department and you as a student, have the opportunity to implement your laboratory studies and pratical applications.
Department of Biomedical Engineering is accredited by YOK, YODAK, ASIIN , EQF-LLL (European Qualifications Framework for Life-long Learning) and EUR-ACE (European Accrediatation of Engineering Programmes). Accrediatation ensures a quality education that takes into account design content, mathematic rigor and solid measures of outcome.
I invite you to continue to surf our department website to learn more about our challenging degree programs, our research accomplisments.
I would like to conclude by wishing you every success and renewing my greeting by saying welcome, again.
Chronological order of the chairpersons of the Department of Biomedical Engineering:
|2008-2013||Prof. Dr. Doğan İBRAHİM|
|2013-2016||Assoc. Prof. Dr. Terin ADALI|
|2016-||Prof. Dr. Doğan İbrahim AKAY|
The Background of Department of Biomedical Engineering
The human health is one of the most important concerns of our time. To develop the methods of diagnosis and treatment in hospitals we need to use advanced technology.
The diagnosis which was previously made by medical practices mainly based on estimation and were potentially subject to errors is now made by using most advanced radiology devices such as ECG, EMG, EEG, defibrillators, advanced portable diagnosis devices such as x-ray equipment with monitors, ultrasound, tomography, angiography, laser devices, nuclear magnetic resonance, devices used to crumble and remove kidney stones, and many other equipments similar to these. It has been possible to diagnose illnesses more accurately and more precisely through the use of such equipments.
The mission of the Department of Biomedical Engineering is to train and graduate students in the field of Biomedical Engineering as qualified persons.
The department aims to train and graduate students who will be appreciated much and held in high esteems, and also raise students’ consciousness to follow the recent advances and to contribute to the field of biomedical engineering.
The vision of the Department of Biomedical Engineering is to train students to become well-trained and knowledgeable specialists in theory and practice of biomedical engineering, and in related fields.
Opportunities are given to students to put their theory and practical knowledge into practice in real-life situations. One of the fundamental visions of the department is to study and investigate the human body and to carry out research in molecular differences, to make explorations and discoveries in the field and to publish these findings in highly regarded journals.
As the Department of Biomedical Engineering aims to be a world-famous department in the bioengineering education and research, it is among our visions to provide undergraduate and postgraduate education and to encourage innovative research as well as providing the necessary service in bioengineering.
The Work Areas of Biomedical Engineering Department
The main employment areas of biomedical students are as follows:
- In health institutions – such as state hospitals, private hospitals, and health clinics.
- In government offices – such as Ministry of Health and health departments of municipalities.
- In manufacturing firms – such as firms employing design engineers for manufacturing medical products, quality control engineers, and so on.
- In representative firms – such as support engineers and consultants in firms that sell medical equipment.
- In educational establishments – such as lecturers in universities and in colleges offering training on health issues.
The main employment areas of biomedical engineers can be summarized as follows:
- In the firms manufacturing medical equipment and tools.
- In firms that manufacture artificial organs.
- In units developing equipment and sensors for analyzing the blood.
- In the units in charge of setup and maintenance of electronic equipment for the monitoring of patients in intensive care units, and in operations.
- In the firms that design, develop and manufacture ultrasound, x-ray, magnetic resonance and similar medical imaging systems.
- In the firms that design specialized medical systems.
- In the establishments that carry out research for the modeling of the circulatory system, absorption, and breathing and similar physiologic systems.
- In the firms that design, develop, and manufacture all type of medical equipment used in hospitals.
- In the units in charge of setup and maintenance of all types of medical equipment used in hospitals.
- In the departments and firms that are interested in the development of existing medical electronic equipment, and for designing new medical equipment.
- In the foundations which offer medical training.