Department of Mathematics Teaching for Elementary Schools was established as a department ofin 2009, in accordance with the decision of the Ministry of Education and Culture, and Accreditation and Inspection Council of Higher Education (YODAK). Also, in the same year, students who are citizens of Turkey started to have training in this department via the decision and placement of Higher Education Council and Student Selection and Placement Centre of Turkey.
Aims and Objectives
The major aim of the department, with the attempts of dedicated teachers who are devoted to advancement of the university and department, is training mathematics teachers who are capable of thinking creatively, ready to meet the contemporary needs of the society in 21st. century. The medium of instruction of the department is in Turkish language. The students are offered a challenging and contemporary teaching environment where they can improve their qualifications, skills and abilities to be able to cope with demanding nature of mathematics and contribute to the academic studies and research in this field. It is also aimed to equip teachers so that they incorporate basic theoretical background and essential knowledge necessary to conduct their studies with utmost success.
Mission and Vision
Mission and vision of the department are as follows:
Training mathematics teachers who
- have well-developed social responsibility
- can incorporate democratic values and integrate them with educational ethics
- are keen on exploring, researching
- are productive and skilful analysts
- have leadership qualifications
- are dedicated to develop learning and teaching skills
- are keen on sharing information>
- have well-developed abilities on observation, critical and analytical thinking
- can train students to use all sort of technological opportunities successfully in their field.
The department owns two computer labs, one with 20 computers and the other with 30 computers. Students have the opportunity to carry out their studies in both theoretical and practical terms. Students of this department are also provided with the opportunity to carry out teaching practice at elementary schools.
- Teaching mathematics at the state elementary schools
- Working for the Ministry of Education
- Teaching mathematics at the private schools
- Working for the universities
- Working for the centres interested in distant learning